First build notes

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Here are my notes for setting up wss3 development environment and getting wssDigiDoc 0.9.8 project to successfully build with Visual Studio 2008

install wss 3.0 sp1

install visual studio 2008 + sp1

install VSeWSS 1.2 (optional)

install tortoisesvn

export svn wssdigidoc codebase to wssDigiDoc dir

mkdir wssDigiDoc

svn url: https://wssdigidoc.svn.codeplex.com/svn

Generate strong name keyfile, copy to project root dir

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\sn.exe -k ddoc_key.snk

Copy applicationpages dll

copy C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\CONFIG\BIN\Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.dll C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\ISAPI

open/convert wssDigiDoc project (converting needed only when using VS2008)

comment out post-build script under wssDigidocPages properties

now just hit Ctrl-Shift-B to build and you have your wssDigiDoc.wsp under wssDigiDoc\Package dir :)

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:24 PM
My newly built wssdigidoc.wsp registers as solution, I can enable feature on sites and configure settings. Yet nothing happens when I upload ddoc file to document library - no context menu nor custom fields are added. Site custom fields are available but if I add them, obviously they do not populate with data from ddoc file. Could it be that event handlers don't register for some reason? And more importantly, how to diagnose and fix the problem?

PS. upgraded the solution with latest wssdigidoc.wsp downloaded from this site - context menu and custom fields appeared as they should when I uploaded ddoc file.
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:42 PM
Well, PublicKeyToken not matching my newly generated key was the problem, obviously. Small config change to Visual Studio to get my current public key and then find and replace with old key > new key over all project files. Compiled wsp loaded and everything is working now.
Developer
Apr 6, 2009 at 3:33 PM
Remember, when you use your own public key, then DLL -s from here and your own, are two different ones. This might cause problems, when codebase is updated here and you use our .wsp to install the new solution (which you probably shouldnt do, but instead manually update the code you have).
Taavi
Apr 7, 2009 at 12:10 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to get the latest codebase when I get to the coding part. Right now I have vague design spec and I'm trying to learn enough C# and sharepoint apis to be able to implement the needed changes.